Fragments of Roman Terra Sigillata Pottery
Chur, 1st century AD
Commissioned by the Historical-Antiquarian Society, the first major archaeological excavations in the canton were carried out in the Custorei located at today’s Market Hall Square in Chur in 1902. In the process remnants of the Roman settlement ««Curia» were uncovered: in addition to the foundations of several buildings, coins and shards of terra sigillata vessels, the Romans’ typical glossy red pottery, were also found.
The excavations took place under the supervision of Fritz Jecklin, director of the Raetian Museum at the time. The Museum remained responsible for excavations in the canton until 1967, when the Archaeological Service Graubünden was founded.