Harmonium, built by Leonhard Wilhelm (1804–1872)
Peist, presumably as of 1863
Leonhard Wilhelm of Peist was not only a known gunsmith: in his workshop he developed miscellaneous devices for use at home, in the field or in the forest. Being a talented piano player and organist himself, he was, in particular, a passionate builder of musical instruments.
When «Master Liehert» found out that a new type of instrument, a harmonium, had arrived in Chur, he immediately set out to examine it. At home he replicated each part. The only pre-built parts he bought were the reeds.
The autodidact sold his instruments for 200 Francs. In addition to the exhibited harmonium, the Museum also owns an upright «giraffe piano» built by him.