Uniform Cap for RhB Conductor
Chur, beginning 20th century
The initiative for the construction of a railway in Graubünden came from the Davos hotelier Willem Jan Holsboer (1834‒1898) who in this way wanted to make the journey easier for his guests. 1889 the first narrow-gauge railway route between Landquart and Klosters opened. Additional sections of the route followed. As of 1984 the railway was called «Rhätische Bahn».
Today the RhB consists of a 384 km long rail network that stretches across the canton, goes over almost 500 bridges and through 100 tunnels with a difference of 200 altitude metres. The Albula and the Bernina lines are part of the UNESCO World Heritage. Furthermore, with more than 1500 employees, the RhB is one of Graubünden’s largest employers.