Bicycle of the Swiss Army (Ordnance Bicycle 05)
The ordnance bicycle 05 is a legend on two wheels. 68’000 copies were delivered to the Swiss Army between 1905 and 1989. During this time the design and technology remained practically unchanged. The 22 kg of weight required the soldiers, treading the pedals with baggage and weapon, to be top fit.
At the beginning the cyclists were deployed as liaison and intelligence unit. 1924 it became a combat troop equipped with machine guns. In the Second World War the number of men in the cycling regiments amounted to around 9000. This combat troop, worldwide the last of its kind, was disbanded in 2003.