Bluzger of the Chur Bishop Paul Ziegler von Ziegelberg (1503-1541)
Our object made from a copper-silver alloy is the oldest known Bluzger. This form of currency with the characteristic cross on the reverse side developed into the typical Graubünden means of payment for everyday use. It remained in circulation into the 19th century. The value of a single coin was low, most likely insufficient for purchasing even a loaf of bread.
From the very beginning, building a numismatic collection was regarded as a top priority by the museum‘s founders. By the time of its opening, they had already collected around 1,500 coins from all over the world.