Painting of Marschlins Castle by Wolfgang Wanner
Landquart, around 1775
The painting shows Marschlins Castle in the years between 1771 and 1777, when it was the site of an educational institution, the «Philanthropin». The caption above the picture explains the different parts of the school complex: classrooms, a library, a theatre, a fencing room, an observatory, dormitories in the attic and apartments for the teachers in the corner towers.
The school for boys from middle-class and aristocratic circles was based on ideas of the Enlightenment as well as other new pedagogical trends. The aim was to teach students to be responsible citizens.