On the village square of Valendas stands one of the largest wooden fountains of Europe. Its basin measures 4,8 times 12 metres. On the fountain pillar sits a mermaid wearing a Florentine hat. She is a copy – the original was transferred to the Museum collection in 1953 for conservational reasons. It had increasingly suffered due to weather exposure.
All kinds of myths surround the figure and its origin. According to the entrance files of the Museum it was donated by colonel Johann Peter Marchion (1695–1766). It was apparently carved by the local artisan Hans Bonadurer (1717–1788). However, this information can no longer be verified.