Water Bucket for the Fire Brigade
Chur, 19th century
In the settlement history of Chur the danger of fire was always present: the most devastating fires of 1464, 1574 and 1576 destroyed large parts of the town. Later too, there were often severe outbreaks of fire. They were usually caused by chimney fires.
Fire watch was part of the constant duties of the wardens in the clock tower of the Martinskirche [church of St Martin]. In case of fire they alerted the population.
With the 1834 decree of the fire brigade regulation, which introduced a general fire brigade duty, a decisive progress in fire fighting was reached. 1880 the first hydrants were installed in the city area. A more modern equipment replaced the water buckets.