A Museum for Graubünden
In 1869, the lawyer, historian and politician Peter Conradin von Planta (1815-1902) and others call for the establishment of a «Graubünden Foundation for Science and Art». Their goal is to establish a museum for the collection and preservation of cultural objects from Graubünden, in order to keep them from being sold or destroyed.
Planta is directing his appeal at the people of Graubünden at home and abroad, asking them to donate for his project. In addition to funds, historical objects and books are thus collected, forming the basis for the new museum. In 1872, he reaches his goal: the Raetian Museum opens its first exhibition in the Buol House.
Initially run as a classic multi-purpose building, space for the various exhibtion areas soon becomes scarce. In 1919, the Art Museum Graubünden and the Bündner Naturmuseum go their own way. Henceforth, the Raetian Museum focuses its collection on Graubünden’s history, archeology and ethnology. In 1928, the collection becomes the property of the newly-established Raetian Museum Foundation.
Today, the Raetian Museum is one of three cantonal museums. Its central responsibilities are the collection and preservation of objects related to the history of Graubünden, research into concrete collection materials, and the transmittance of historical information to a broad public by means of exhibitions or events.