The Three Alliances
This exhibit shows the original three-sided boundary stone of the Three Alliances, used to mark the geographical point where their respective territories met. It overlooks Chur from a summit called Dreibündenstein in the Brambrüesch area, a popular year-round resort.
The „Free State of the Common Three Alliances“ originates in the 16th century when three disparate territories in Grisons formed a new political entity, comprising the Gotteshausbund (Alliance of God’s House), the Graue Bund (Grey Alliance), and the Zehngerichtebund (Alliance of the Ten Courts). A common constitution followed in 1524, set out in a legal historical document known as the Bundesbrief. Their alliance, however, was not a state in the modern sense. The territories consisted of many small, autonomously organised jurisdictions in which important decisions were taken by the local citizens. There was no central government, nor was there a capital city. A few eminent patrician families wielded great influence in their communities. The only political body of common constituent and legislative significance was the Bundstag, the Alliance’s Assembly. Elected representatives from the parishes would decide on matters of foreign policy or discuss the managing of the so-called subjected territories of Veltlin, Chiavenna and Bormio.
Ihr Browser unterstützt kein HTML5 Audio.